The educational program is the heart of every Toastmasters club. It provides members with a proven curriculum that develops leadership and communication skills one step at a time, with many opportunities for awards and recognition along the way. As you can see from the diagram below in order to receive the Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM) award which is the highest level of recognition, one has to complete the program in both the leadership and communication tracks. Both these tracks are not mutually exclusive; you may participate in both at the same time, if you wish.
Members interested in building their public speaking and communication skills begin with the Competent Communication Manual. This communications track is designed to give each member a strong start in developing a core set of skills for public speaking and focuses on the areas like:
– Speech Organization
– Eye Contact, Vocal Variety
– Gestures, Delivery, and etc.
The 10 speech projects contained in the Competent Communication Manual provides a foundation to develop your speaking skills one step at a time. When you finish all of the projects, you are eligible for the Competent Communicator Award.
Advanced Communication Track
After receiving the Competent Communicator Award, you can begin to develop more advanced speaking and communication skills through the Advanced Communication Series. There are 15 manuals in this advanced communications track such as Speeches by Management, Public Relations, and the Entertaining Speaker. Each manual contains five speech projects. Many of the manuals are career-oriented but you choose the manuals you want to complete and the skills you want to learn. When you complete two manuals, you are eligible for an Advanced Communications Award.
Members interested in building their leadership skills begin with the Competent Leadership manual. This manual features 10 projects that you complete while serving in various club meeting roles and serving as an in officer role at both the club level and district level. An evaluator will give you feedback on each project, helping you to improve. When you complete the manual, you are eligible for the Competent Leader Award.
Advanced Leadership Track
After earning the Competent Leadership Award, you can further refine and develop more complex leadership skills by completing projects in manuals that are part of the Advanced Leader Program. Members learn and develop advanced leadership skills as they deliver presentations in a variety of topics. These projects provide practical knowledge about:
– Developing a vision
– Goal setting and planning
– Developing plans and strategies
– Team building
– Program Execution
The Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM) Award is the highest our organization bestows. The DTM recognizes a superior level of achievement in both communication and leadership. To be eligible for the award, you must have earned the following:
- Advanced Communicator Gold or Advanced Toastmaster Gold Award
- Advanced Leader Silver or Advanced Leader Award
To apply for the Distinguished Toastmaster award, complete the appropriate section of the Advanced Leader/Distinguished Toastmaster Award Application and ask your vice president education to submit it online to World Headquarters. You’ll receive a plaque and, if you wish, World Headquarters will notify your employer of your achievement.
Benefits of Toastmasters
- Participation in a unique and proven program for developing your communication and leadership skills.
- A positive and supportive atmosphere in a community of learners.
- The opportunity to find your voice while learning to tell your story with confidence.
- Regular and constructive feedback from other learners as you practice organizing your thoughts and presenting them clearly.
- Experience in leadership development through training and club involvement.
- Unlimited opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Access to a wealth of educational materials and resources on public speaking, listening skills, meeting protocol, the use of technology in presentations, and effective communication in conferences and meetings.
- A free subscription to the Toastmaster, a monthly magazine that provides insights on communication, leadership, club activities and other relevant topics.
Share the benefits you gain by:
- Assisting fellow members in developing their communication and leadership skills while you develop your own.
- Helping your group maintain the Toastmasters standard of excellence in all projects and programs.
- Providing leadership in your club, whether performing meeting roles, assisting on committees or serving as an officer.
- Telling other people about the value of Toastmasters and inviting guests to club meetings.
- Representing the Toastmasters brand in everyday business, social and community situations.
Making the Toastmasters experience – for yourself as well as others – as enjoyable and worthwhile as possible!