Note: This post is adapted from a Toastmasters International letter
Clubs have an important vote to cast during the Annual Business Meeting of Toastmasters International at 1 p.m Aug. 26 at the Vancouver Convention Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia.
Clubs will vote to elect international officers and directors for the 2017-1028 Board of Directors as well as on Proposals A through G, which are amendments to the Bylaws of Toastmasters International and the Club Constitution for Clubs of Toastmasters International.
To learn and understand the roles, attributes and responsibilities, please review the Leadership Roles.
The Toastmasters International bylaws allow a club in good standing to cast two votes at the Annual Business Meeting. To make your club’s vote count, clubs can assign a proxy and cast votes in one of three ways:
- Send a delegate from the club who is attending the Annual Business Meeting to carry your club votes.
- Designate the 2017–2018 district director to act as your club proxy. If (and only if) the district director is not in attendance, the next senior district officer attending the Annual Business Meeting will act as your club proxy.
- Designate an active member from another club to act as your club proxy.
It is important to note that the club president and secretary must assign the club votes. If the votes are not assigned, they cannot be cast. Votes must be assigned even if you are assigning the votes to yourself.
To find out how to assign the club votes, go to www.toastmasters.org/clubcentral, log in, choose the club(s) you are assigning proxies for and click on Club Proxy.
Once your club proxy is assigned, please advise the proxyholder to do the following:
- Visit Credentials to obtain an electronic voting keypad prior to the Annual Business Meeting. Keypads will not be distributed after the close of Credentials on Thursday, August 24, at 7:30 p.m.Your convention registration badge is required to receive a voting keypad.Credentials will be open:
Tuesday 5–9 p.m.
Wednesday 9 a.m.–12 p.m.
Thursday 2–5 p.m. and 6–7:30 p.m.
If you are not registered for the convention but wish to attend the Annual Business Meeting to cast your votes, you will still need to visit Credentials to obtain a keypad. You cannot vote during the Annual Business Meeting without a keypad.
- Attend the Annual Business Meeting to cast your votes. You must be present during the meeting to cast your votes using the voting keypad. Voting keypads must be collected after the meeting.
If the officers in your club have changed, please notify World Headquarters immediately by going to the club business section of Club Central on the Toastmasters International website. You can also email the changes to email@example.com or call the Member Engagement and Support department at 949-858-8255.
Don’t miss the opportunity to interview international officer and director candidates prior to the Annual Business Meeting. To help you cast your vote for the best candidate, refer to these recommended questions to ask the candidates.